Weber County Car Accident Lawyer

If you were hurt in a car accident that was caused by the other driver, you may have a right to get compensated for your medical bills, the earnings you lost, and other expenses related to your injuries.  But all you have to worry about is resting and recuperating.  Auto accident attorney Darwin Overson will be there to handle your legal work, guide you through the claims process, and negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf.

Get a Free Legal Consultation with an Experienced Utah Injury Attorney

bigstock Car Accident 4182510 1024x620 - Weber County Car Accident Lawyer

In a perfect world, insurance companies would always provide fair coverage for accident victims.  In reality, insurers often try to undervalue or deny valid claims just to save themselves money.  With over 33 years of experience handling car accident claims, Darwin Overson is well aware of the bad faith tactics insurers try to use against innocent victims who are simply trying to get the compensation they are entitled to.

Darwin does not tolerate this kind of mistreatment of crash victims, and has built a reputation for providing tough and aggressive representation in settlement negotiations.  If negotiating does not satisfactorily resolve the claim, Darwin is more than ready to take your case to court.  He will do everything in his power in the effort to recover maximum compensation for you and your loved ones.

If the accident was not your fault, you shouldn’t be stuck with the bill.  Call the law offices of Overson Law at (801) 895-3143 to set up a free legal consultation today.  Darwin has experience with claims involving a wide range of accident types, including:

  • Rear-End Collisions
  • Head-On Collisions
  • Side-Impact Collisions
  • Parking Lot Accidents
  • Distracted Driving
  • Fatigued Driving
  • Drunk Driving
  • Multi-Vehicle Pileups
  • Chain Reaction Accidents

Who is Liable for Car Accident Compensation? What is No-Fault Insurance?

States follow either a fault or no-fault insurance system with regard to car accidents.  Utah is one of a dozen no-fault insurance states.  Under Utah’s no-fault insurance system, accident victims make a first-party claim with their own insurance company no matter which driver was at fault for causing the collision.  However, you may have a claim against the at-fault driver’s insurance company, called a “third-party” claim, if:

  • Your injury costs exceed $3,000, which is the threshold for Personal Injury Protection (PIP) benefits. PIP benefits are meant to help cover the “reasonable value” of medical expenses including:
    • Dentistry
    • Prosthetics
    • Rehabilitation
    • Surgery
    • X-Rays
  • Your injury resulted in any of the following:
    • Permanent disfigurement
    • Permanent disability
    • Permanent impairment of a body part or organ’s function
    • Dismemberment, meaning amputation or the loss of a limb

You only need to meet one of these criteria.  For instance, you could potentially sue the other driver if you suffered a permanent disability, even if your care costs were less than $3,000.   Conversely, if your costs exceeded $3,000, you could sue for any kind of physical injury – not just those specified above.

In order to have a viable case or claim, you must be able to prove a few basic facts about the accident:

  1. The other driver was reckless or negligent. Recklessness is disregard for known, unjustifiable risks.  Negligence is the failure to take adequate precautions against foreseeable accidents (e.g. ignoring traffic lights, speeding, driving while intoxicated).
  2. The accident was caused by the other driver’s actions. In some cases, it’s not what the driver did, but what the driver didn’t do – for example, failing to maintain a safe following distance, leading to a preventable rear-end collision.
  3. You suffered harm because of the accident. Medical bills and losses of income are a few examples.

Common Injuries Caused by Crashes and Collisions

bigstock Front Crash 71503087 1 1024x739 - Weber County Car Accident Lawyer

If you feel any pain or discomfort following an accident, no matter how mild, you should make an appointment with your doctor as soon as possible.  You may not feel serious pain right after a crash due to the flood of adrenaline released in the accident; but as the adrenaline wears off, you may start to notice that mild twinges escalate into agonizing aches and pains.  The sooner you seek medical attention, the sooner a doctor can begin to diagnose and treat your injuries.  It’s also very important to save your medical documentation as evidence about the cause and severity of your injuries, which can help to  strengthen your claim.

Car accidents can result in any number of serious injuries.  Bones, joints, ligaments, muscles, nerves, and internal organs are all vulnerable to catastrophic damage, particularly in high-speed accidents such as highway pileups or head-on collisions on busy roads like SR-39, SR-126, SR-134, and US-89.  Injuries can occur when vehicle occupants are struck by loose objects flying through the vehicle, are ejected from the vehicle, are trapped beneath debris, are burned by flaming wreckage, or are slammed against windows, doors, or the windshield.

Some examples of serious injuries that can result from a car collision include:

  • Back Injuries
  • Broken Bones
  • Bulging Disc
  • Burns
  • Facial Injuries
  • Herniated Disc
  • Scarring
  • Soft Tissue Injuries
  • Spinal Cord Injury (SCI)
  • Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
  • Whiplash

If you or a loved one suffered these or other severe injuries due to a car accident in the Weber County area, you should talk to an experienced attorney about the possibility of getting compensated.  Call car crash lawyer Darwin Overson at (801) 895-3143 to set up a free and confidential legal consultation.  Darwin handles cases throughout Weber County, including Ogden, South Ogden, Farr West, Harrisville, Hooper, Riverdale, Roy, Washington Terrace, and other area communities.


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.