How to Report a Dangerous Truck Driver in Utah

At some point in time, almost every driver has found themselves in a scary situation with a large commercial truck like a 16-wheeler or 18-wheeler.  Whether it’s poorly secured cargo, illegal dumping of materials onto the highway, or downright dangerous driving, you should promptly report any trucker safety violations you witness.  If you or one of your loved ones was injured in a semi-trailer truck accident caused by unsafe driving, you should speak to a Salt Lake City truck accident lawyer about the possibility of getting compensated for your medical bills and other expenses.  

How to File an Unsafe Trucker Complaint with the FMCSA

bigstock Generic Semi Trucks Speeding O 95099174 1024x683 - How to Report a Dangerous Truck Driver in Utah

Utah trucker safety violations should be reported to two agencies:

  1. The Utah Highway Patrol, or your local sheriff’s or police department, depending on what type of road the violation occurs on.
  2. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), which is the division of the U.S. Department of Transportation that’s responsible for researching and reducing commercial vehicle accidents, including bus accidents.  The FMCSA is also the agency behind the Hours of Service regulations, which – though frequently ignored and violated – set hourly driving limits for truckers.

The FMCSA maintains a national consumer complaint database, often abbreviated to NCCDB.  The FMCSA processes complaints involving “safety, service or discrimination issues with a moving company, bus or truck company, including hazardous materials, or cargo tank facility.”

There are two ways to report an unsafe truck driver to the FMCSA, though you should call 9-1-1 instead if there is a safety emergency in progress:

  • Report a safety violation over the phone by calling (888) DOT-SAFT, or (888) 368-7238.  The NCCDB complaint hotline is open from 8:00 A.M. through 8:00 P.M., Monday through Friday.
  1. Click the blue “file a complaint” button under the section for consumers.  This will bring you to a page with options for moving complaints, bus complaints, and truck complaints.
  2. Select the truck complaint option.  This will enable four violation checkboxes: truck safety, cargo tank safety, hazardous materials, and operating authority and insurance.
  3. Check the truck safety box and hit the blue “next” button.
  4. Complete the complaint form.  The form has blank fields for you to supply the date, location, and description of the violation.  There is also a list of checkboxes to select for various safety problems – for example, “I witnessed a commercial driver who appears to be noticeably ill or fatigued,” or, “I witnessed a commercial truck driving recklessly.”
  5. You’ll also be prompted to supply your contact information and other information about the accident.  Fill out as much as you can remember, in as much detail as possible.

How to Report a Commercial Trucking Safety Violation to the Utah Highway Patrol or Your Sheriff’s Department

bigstock Overturned Truck 4188645 1024x681 - How to Report a Dangerous Truck Driver in Utah

In addition to filing a trucker safety complaint with the FMCSA, you should also report any recently witnessed hazards to the UHP.  Of course, if you witness unsafe driving in progress, you should call 9-1-1 immediately.  The dispatcher will ask you to supply information like the dangerous driver’s license plate number, the type of vehicle they are driving, and the direction they are driving in.

To report an unsafe trucker (or any unsafe driver) to the Utah Highway Patrol, call (801) 965-4518.  UHP has jurisdiction over hazards on Utah’s interstates, like I-15, I-70, I-80, I-84, and I-215.  If you witnessed the hazard occur a county road, you should call that county’s Sheriff’s Office.  Find the appropriate phone number below:

  • Beaver County Sheriff’s Office – (435) 438-2466
  • Box Elder County Sheriff’s Office – (435) 734-3800
  • Cache County Sheriff’s Office – (435) 755-1000
  • Carbon County Sheriff’s Office – (435) 636-3251
  • Daggett County Sheriff’s Office – (435) 784-3255
  • Davis County Sheriff’s Office – (801) 451-4200
  • Duchesne County Sheriff’s Office – (435) 738-1100
  • Emery County Sheriff’s Office – (435) 381-2404
  • Garfield County Sheriff’s Office – (435) 676-2678
  • Iron County Sheriff’s Office – (435) 867-7500
  • Juab County Sheriff’s Office – (435) 623-1349
  • Kane County Sheriff’s Office – (435) 644-2349
  • Millard County Sheriff’s Office – (435) 743-5302
  • Morgan County Sheriff’s Office – (801) 829-0590
  • Piute County Sheriff’s Office – (435) 577-2893
  • Rich County Sheriff’s Office – (435) 793-2285
  • Salt Lake County Sheriff’s Office – (801) 743-7000
  • San Juan County Sheriff’s Office – (435) 587-2237
  • Sanpete County Sheriff’s Office – (435) 835-2191
  • Sevier County Sheriff’s Office – (435) 896-2600
  • Summit County Sheriff’s Office – (435) 615-3600
  • Tooele County Sheriff’s Office – (435) 882-5600
  • Uintah County Sheriff’s Office – (435) 789-2511
  • Utah County Sheriff’s Office – (801) 851-4000
  • Wasatch County Sheriff’s Office – (435) 654-1411
  • Washington County Sheriff’s Office – (435) 656-6500
  • Wayne County Sheriff’s Office – (435) 836-1308
  • Weber County Sheriff’s Office – (801) 778-6600

If you saw the violation take place on a town or city street, like University Boulevard or State Street in downtown Salt Lake City, you should call your local police department.  Police department contact information for some of Utah’s major cities is listed below:

  • Layton PD – (801) 497-8300
  • Lehi PD – (385) 201-1005
  • Ogden PD – (801) 629-8221
  • Orem PD – (801) 229-7070
  • Provo PD – (801) 852-6210
  • Salt Lake City PD – (801) 799-3000
  • South Jordan PD – (801) 254-4708
  • Taylorsville PD – (801) 963-5400
  • West Jordan PD – (801) 256-2000
  • West Valley City PD – (801) 840-4000

If you or one of your loved ones was injured by a careless trucker, you could be entitled to compensation.  Depending on the circumstances, truckers can be liable for accidents in Utah.  Call the law offices of Overson Law at (801) 895-3143 for a free legal consultation with Salt Lake City intersection accident lawyer Darwin Overson today.


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.