What to Look for in a Salt Lake City Car Accident Lawyer
Not every Utah car accident is serious enough to merit assistance from an attorney. However, you should strongly consider contacting a Salt Lake City car accident lawyer if you sustained property damage or suffered an injury. You should also seek legal representation you have any questions about your insurance coverage, or if you’re concerned that an auto insurance company is dodging your phone calls or using other bad faith insurance tactics to deny (or ignore) your accident claim. But how do you know which attorney to choose? And what are the warning signs that it may be time to hire a different lawyer?
How to Find the Right Personal Injury Lawyer for Your Car Accident Claim
Ultimately, your choice of attorney is a decision only you can make. However, keeping these four points in mind can help you narrow your list and find a good fit:
- Relevant experience. Someone could be the world’s best heart surgeon, but you still wouldn’t want them operating on your brain. Attorneys work within many different practice areas, some of which aren’t even civil in nature, so you should make sure your attorney of choice has personal experience handling car accident claims. The more car accident experience an attorney has, the greater likelihood they have encountered a situation like yours in the past.
- Commitment to each case. Unfortunately, some attorneys are in this business to get in and get out of each case with minimum effort. These lawyers lazily accept unfavorable deals with minimal negotiating, just to move on to the next claim. A quality attorney works within deadlines but leaves no stone unturned, examining every tiny detail in a persistent effort to obtain the best possible outcome for the client. When you contact a Utah car accident attorney, ask them how they generally handle cases similar to yours.
- Good credentials and case results. A good, trustworthy attorney will be eager to show you his or her legal accomplishments, such as verdicts, settlements, client testimonials, and professional awards and accolades.
- Personal compatibility. A car accident claim can take several months to resolve fully. If the accident victim files a lawsuit, the case could be ongoing for more than a year. You may be working with your attorney for quite some time, so you should make sure you choose a person you can get along with.
Signs It’s Time to Hire Another Auto Accident Attorney
We are frequently contacted by accident victims who feel disheartened and anxious because they are dissatisfied with the lawyer who is representing them. Have you experienced any of the following issues with your current car accident lawyer? If so, it might be time to consider making a change.
- They don’t communicate. Like any professional relationship, the client-attorney relationship hinges on clear and frequent communication. If your attorney is slow to return your calls or frequently “misses” your emails, that’s a major red flag your case isn’t receiving the personal attention it deserves.
- They get moody, defensive, or impatient with you. A good personal injury lawyer understands that the client is dealing with lots of stress and pain while going through a complicated, unfamiliar process. If your lawyer loses their patience and snaps at you, or gets frustrated when you ask questions about their plans and methods, it may be time to turn elsewhere. Your lawyer should boost you up, not drag you down.
- They push you to accept the initial settlement offer. When an insurance company is notified of an accident, they will often make an initial offer that grossly undervalues the victim’s true losses and expenses. If your attorney is pressuring you to accept an offer you don’t feel comfortable with — or indeed, pressuring you to do or say anything you don’t feel comfortable with — don’t feel obligated to sign.
Contact Overson Law, LLC for a Free Legal Consultation
Utah personal injury lawyer Darwin Overson is committed to providing friendly, affordable legal assistance — without sacrificing his dedication to quality representation. With more than 33 years of experience fighting bad faith insurance companies, Darwin has built a reputation as a fearsome courtroom opponent, never backing down and always fighting aggressively on behalf of his clients.
Darwin has worked on thousands of claims during his decades practicing personal injury law, including rear-end collisions, head-on collisions, broadside and T-bone accidents, intersection accidents, and parking lot accidents. He handles claims and lawsuits throughout the state of Utah, and is more than happy to come to your location if you are unable to travel.
Darwin works on a contingency fee basis, which means you will never be charged any legal fees unless Darwin recovers compensation for you. If you don’t get paid, Darwin doesn’t either. It’s that simple. Even your confidential legal consultation is free of charge. To schedule a free consultation, call Utah car accident lawyer Darwin at (801) 895-3143 any time, including late nights and weekends. Darwin will help you understand your legal rights and the options that may be available to you and your loved ones.